Living Well Institute has, for 20 years, focused on providing continuing education to healthcare providers to fully prepare them to use Integrative & Lifestyle Medicine in practice. We believe that including Integrative & Lifestyle Medicine in your practice as a PT, OT, or ATC is no longer optional, it’s becoming requisite, due to the level of chronic pain and noncommunicable chronic diseases that are now considered a global epidemic. Most healthcare dollars are spent on lifestyle-driven disease, which means the overwhelming majority of people who come into your office will have one or more lifestyle-driven diseases that will directly and negatively impact your outcomes in therapy.
We specifically educate providers of PT, OT, and AT services, as well as their assistants, to use Integrative and Lifestyle Medicine, including Medical Therapeutic Yoga and mindfulness, in clinical and health promotion practice. We offer two comprehensive certification programs and specialty courses to meet your educational needs and help fill the gap between the biomedical training you received and the holistic, biopsychosocial, person-first care that is necessary to tackle chronic, complex cases.
Learn more about how Integrative & Lifestyle Medicine can change your practice and how you treat your patients below.
How do I get Certified?
For the Integrative Lifestyle Medicine (ILM) Certification (24 hours total):
- Take Modules 1-4 (20 CE online)
- Take 2 Electives (two courses of 2 hours each; 4 CE)
For a free webinar on this training, click here
To earn both the Professional Yoga Therapist & ILM Certification:
- Take the ILM Certification then:
- Module 5 (27 CE) – Level I Certification – here
- Module 6 (28 CE) – Level II Certification – here
- Module 7 (38 CE) – Level III Certification – here Lodging for this retreat-style CE (meals included) are available separately.
For a free webinar on the PYT Certification, click here
Do I qualify for certification?
A minimum of 60 semester hours of college credit and corresponding degree from an accredited university or college in a field of medicine or healthcare. You must hold a license to practice in the state of your respective medical field. Medicine, mental health, physiology, or rehabilitation are all degrees and licenses commonly held by applicants, but the vast majority of our students are PT, OT, or ATC’s. If you do not have a healthcare provider license but you have a degree that allows you to work directly with licensed healthcare providers, and you are looking to apply Yoga and Lifestyle Medicine in your work as a yoga teacher, then you may qualify for the Professional Yoga Therapist Associate (PYTA) program. Contact our office directly for more information about this program.
What is the cost?
The ILM (entirely online) is $575. Level I tuition (online & live components) – $1175. Level II tuition (online & live components) – $1225, and Level III tuition (onsite) – $1875, which also includes the final Case Community Competency mentorship tuition.
What are the graduation requirements?
- ILM Certification – Modules 1-4 plus 2 electives
- Professional Yoga Therapist Certification – ILM Certification PLUS
- Level I Certification – Level I Course, passing grade on exam and case study
- Level II Certification – Level II Course, essay assignment
- Level III Certification – Level III Course, passing grade on exit exam, complete journal log and CCC (Case Community Competency) project
What other Integrative & Lifestyle Medicine continuing education courses and classes are available?
- The Integrative Lifestyle Medicine & Medical Therapeutic Yoga Certification are just part of what we offer to healthcare providers.
- We offer Professional Courses here.
- We offer Public Classes here.
- Coming soon! In 2021, LWI will begin moving Dr. Garner’s well respected Hip Differential Diagnosis and Integrative Management & Perinatal CE courses online.
Looking to earn free tuition or create additional revenue for your healthcare facility? Host an Integrative Lifestyle Medicine course.
- Even though our courses are now online, you can still host one of our courses for healthcare providers.
- We have guidelines for universities, hospitals systems, and clinics who would like to host a course and two models for generating revenue, which include free tuition or profit sharing.
- Courses available to host include:
- Introduction to Medical Therapeutic Yoga
- Introduction to Integrative & Lifestyle Medicine in Practice
- Hip Labrum Differential Diagnosis & Integrative Management
- Prenatal Integrative & Lifestyle Medicine
- Postpartum Integrative & Lifestyle Medicine
- All courses teach meditation and mindful movement, as well as Lifestyle Medicine-driven management, through the Integrative lens of Yoga.
- Course length can be customized to fit your facility needs, but typically range from short lectures of 1-2 hours to full courses that are 8-16 hours (1-2 days) in length.
- Contact our office to inquire about Hosting a Course.
Find the Course that Suits You
Integrative & Lifestyle Medicine Continuing Education for Physical Therapists, Occupational Therapists, Athletic Trainers, & their Assistants
The ILM Certificate is entirely online and self-paced and covers all topics needed to apply Lifestyle Medicine, through an Integrative Medicine lens, in your practice.
Level I and II are self-paced, with a final 1 day live interactive session that is offered once quarterly. Level I covers the foundations of Integrative Medicine through a medical, therapeutic yoga model. Level II covers Orthopedic and Gut Health & Function.
Level III is an in-person course that occurs annually in the gorgeous, naturally socially-distanced Blue Ridge Mountains of NC. Level III brings it all together and covers biomechanics of yoga postures, all levels of breathing, the pressure system in neuromuscular and orthopedic health, which includes the voice as a therapeutic agent, and Ayurvedic application.
Finishing the ILM and all 3 levels of the MTY training earns the Professional Yoga Therapist credential.
Specialty courses are coming soon and will be offered in an online, self-paced format from Integrative & Lifestyle Medicine experts around the globe.
Integrative Lifestyle Medicine Certificate
This course prepares the licensed PT, OT, and/or AT to use Integrative & Lifestyle Medicine in patient and health promotion intervention, which is easily implemented via telehealth and group therapy.
MEDICAL THERAPEUTIC YOGA LEVEL I – LIVE INTERACTIVE
- March 6, 2021
- June 18, 2021
- September 26, 2021
- November 5, 2021
This course has recorded and live components.
MEDICAL THERAPEUTIC YOGA LEVEL II – LIVE INTERACTIVE
- February 19, 2021
- May 21, 2021
- August 21, 2021
- November 12, 2021
This course has recorded and live components.
MEDICAL THERAPEUTIC YOGA LEVEL III – LIVE INTERACTIVE
- These dates are COVID prognosis dependent. Reserve your spot early to ensure you can attend.
- October 14-19, 2021
This course is retreat-style & held in-person.
Students & Graduates Area
If you have already taken the ILM and MTY Certification programs, these courses from our partners are a great next step.
Coursework We Endorse
To learn about the full array of courses and classes we offer, visit our course catalog. We offer both Professional Courses for CE credit, as well as general fitness classes for the public.
Renew your Certification or Join
Forms for Students & Alumni
- CCC Forms – Please complete these forms for pre-approval and final submission of your CCC project
- Graduation Application – Please use this form to track and submit the requirements to graduate
- Annual CE Form – Please use this form to submit your renewal to maintain your certification (the renewal fee is paid via renewing your Provider or Professional Membership)
Please don’t hesitate to email our Director of Student Affairs, firstname.lastname@example.org.