Nourishing the Future: Health and Nutrition Tips for Pregnancy (Part 2)
Today’s guest post is written by Yvette Ladd, a pharmacist, yoga teacher, and Professional Yoga Therapist candidate who is currently pursuing her masters in nutrition science.
In part 1 of this post, guest blogger Yvette Ladd discussed nutrition tips through the trimesters. Today’s post will focus on general health tips and resources for optimizing nutrition during pregnancy.
Other guidelines for a healthy lifestyle for you and your baby:
- Strive for 30-minutes or more of exercise of moderate intensity most days of the week. Consult with your physician before beginning or continuing any exercise program.6
- Minimize stress and get adequate rest.4 If you aren’t sleeping well or are experiencing emotional difficulties, talk to your partner, a trusted family member or to your health care provider for guidance.
- Evaluate everyday products like shampoos, lotions and make-up, as well as household products and medications for potential toxins that may create unnecessary risk to your family’s health.
The health and success of your child begins before you become pregnant and extends for their lifetime. Making health supportive habits a part of your lifestyle and continuing them as your child grows will offer them the best opportunity for a long and healthy life.
- www.ewg.org – review their consumer guides
- https://integrativelifestylemed.com/category/blog/mothers/ – mothering resources
- www.nongmoproject.org– a source for non-GMO food choices
- www.seafoodwatch.org – a guide for ‘clean’ fish
- www.westonaprice.org/health-topics/diet-for-pregnant-and-nursing-mothers/ – nutrition recommendations during pregnancy
- www.whfoods.com – a source for nutrients in food
Read PART 1
- Academy of nutrition and dietetics. (2013, January). Your Food and Nutrition Source It’s About Eating Right. Retrieved May 14, 2014, from Eat Right: www.eatright.org
- Baby Center, LLC. (2014, April). http://www.babycenter.in/a1015418/why-is-it-important-to-drink-water-during-pregnancy. Retrieved May 14, 2014, from Baby Center: http://www.babycenter.in
- Beerman, M. M. (2011). Life Cycle Nutrition. In M. M. Beerman, Nutritional Sciences From Fundamentals to Food (p. 624). Belmont, CA: Wadswoth Cengage Learning.
- Metz, G. A., & Zucchi, F. C. (2013, February 22). Maternal stress induces epigenetic signatures of ps… [PLoS One. 2013] – PubMed – NCBI. Retrieved May 14, 2014, from Ncbi.nlm.nih.gov: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3579944/
- Michael Murray, N. a. (1998). Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine, 2nd edition. Rocklin, CA, 95677: Prima Publishing.
- WebMD. (2012, August 15). Health and Pregnancy. Retrieved May 14, 2014, from http://www.webmd.com: http://www.webmd.com/baby/exercise-during-pregnancy
- Zissu, A. (2013, October 29). http://healthychild.org/verdict-is-in-doctors-should-advise-patients-about-harmful-chemicals/. Retrieved May 12 2014, from Healthy Child Healthy World: http://healthychild.org
About the Author
Yvette Ladd RPh, PYT-C, RYT
Yvette is a Registered Pharmacist, Registered Yoga Teacher and an ACE Certified Personal Trainer, practicing in the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia.
Yvette is the owner of Wellness Pursuits. Her love and curiosity of the human body has long inspired her pursuit of personal wellness and fuels her current teachings and service offerings to her clients. She believes that when provided the proper resources our bodies have extraordinary potential to carry us through a long and vibrant life.
Yvette’s Integrated Health and Wellness programs are a fusion of her education and experience in the health and fitness professions and offer her clients a customized healing path with regard to the whole person. Utilizing modalities such as movement practices (exercise/yoga), conscious nutrition, nurturing routines and a supportive environment, clients can reestablish equilibrium and create optimal health, allowing them the freedom and energy to enjoy a full life.
Yvette can be reached via www.wellness-pursuits.com or by email email@example.com